Monday, April 11, 2011

Standardized Tests

I haven't had my kids take a standardized test yet. But this will be the year. I think that test taking skills are important to have. It is the one thing I learned in high school-- how to take tests and it helped me all through college. Now that we've had a couple years of doing some good learning under our belts, I'm not afraid to have my kids take the tests. I found these practice ones online:

http://www.edinformatics.com/testing/itest.htm

We'll try these first and then maybe I'll find one we can take for real!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm still on the fence about standardized testing. I have my doubts. With all the STAR and CASHEE (am I spelling that right?) testing I feel that high school kids, and even younger children, have little to gain from standardized testing. What benefits other than test taking do you think it gives? Can't regular tests give them that benefit? I'd love to hear your opinion on this because it's unsettling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Standardized tests are only a way to compare apples to apples. I think it also lets the students know how well they are doing compared to other students. If they do well, then they know they know at least as much as everybody else, and if not, then they know they'd better get a different curriculum or something. They also need to do well on those to get into college and get scholarships.

    ReplyDelete